Thursday, September 13, 2012

Shadows

I'm not sure what to write.  I just came from an amazing meeting of some of the most poetic minds I know.  Sometimes, we think that we've heard everything.  Maybe it's because of the saying that the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Even after all this time of listening and reading and writing, I'm still hearing things that are brand new.  I'm amazed by it all.  This vastness of talent can make anyone feel less self-assured.  I found myself feeling like just a shadow of myself.  Suddenly, the lines I thought were great sounded less impressive, and the thoughts that could have sounded so new had a thick layer of dust.  No longer verdant, they were... missing something.

And here I'm reminded of a Facebook post that's been circulating recently.  A picture put out by George Takei.  On it is a dark brown background with the words "The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel" super imposed on top.  I suppose this thought has been expressed before in yesterday's "The Experiment." post (or some variation of it): We don't know how long it took an artist to compose a work.  We can't really be sure how long a piece took to get finalized.  What seems like a short time may actually have its roots in the far-flung past.  The point is that we cannot compare ourselves with others in any meaningful way in this regard.

The moment we begin to think "I'm not as _____ as ______ is", we've lost sight of what makes us so amazing.  Suddenly our greatness is diminished as though it is a shadow shrinking under the midday sun.  Perhaps, then, we should commit to taking walks just before the sun sets or just as that same sun is rising.  By doing so, maybe we can remind ourselves that who we are, like the length of our shadows, is not always determined by our size but by the light being cast upon us.  So we should find the best light under which we can thrive and grow.  Find friends who shine on you at your best angles rather than stare down as though you're under interrogation.  It is never wrong to be who you are.

You may not know how you are amazing, but it is a good start to simply know that you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All I ask is that you be respectful. Thank you!