Monday, December 3, 2012

December 3rd Prompt and Poem - It's in the Music

Recently, I attended a memorial walk for an acquaintance who had passed.  I was listening to a conversation that another friend of his was having.  One word stuck out: "Searching."  Ideas flooded into being; I brought out my notebook and began to write.  I listened to a song with the same title as the word which had just been used.  For reference, this is the song I was listening to:


This is the piece which followed:

Searching

There is a song called "Searching" by an artist
named Joe Satriani. It's a song that starts
off with a slow pulse - like a question at rest.
Chords kick in and a driving solo begins like
the notes are trying to find their home - wide
vibratos and a bass which wants to find its place
between the high strung, tight singing strings and
those loose enough to make rock roll. Suddenly,
the guitar swings wildly, matching the frenetic
pace of the bass, and I realize that the music
is matching emotions, and I wonder if this
is what the music inside of his mind sounded like
when he searched for an answer - a reason for being?
an idea to hold onto? beauty? a melody?
Was he searching for a string - vibrant, sonorous - enough
to stitch his heart back together -
when a man's hands close like life could
never fill them again, the reason is rarely the moment -
the reason is rarely in the hands - the reason
seems to be nothing - nothing found from the
search - no thing strong enough
to hold hands open anymore - what were you searching
for?
       I can't find anything but upset in the waves
that continue outward - music only exists in the moments
we hear it, but its reverberations can be heard
in the echoes of instruments and in their phrasings like
"I'm sorry for your loss" or "I remember when..." because
not everyone has fingers nimble enough to
pluck out notes, but we all have a heart
strong enough to be tuned and sing out your
praises - and, honestly, I never knew you
well enough to even begin to understand why
the beats of all these hearts sound so somber,
but I have to believe that this
is the only way your song could have ended -
it was always in your hands, and this note - this
note
        is trying to make all the songs we're singing
find harmony because one day those songs too will end, but
our search will continue, and
one day
we may find
the strings to complete this symphony.

_________________________________________________________________________________


Music is a very powerful force in our lives, so I want to ask you to tap into that power.

Find a song (it can have lyrics, but instrumental ones can provide for more interpretation) and write a poem about what it means to you.

What connections does this song have?  How do you feel when the music plays?  Do you feel that the song is saying something other than what you can hear?  Are there any stories which go along with this song?  I have a tendency to attach potent memories to songs, so bring up your past if you'd like, and tell your story through a song.

Feel free to post what you come up with hear and a link to the music which inspired it!

Additionally, there may be a fund set up in honor of the subject of this poem and to help his family. I will update with any further information as it becomes available for anyone who may be interested in learning more.

Thank you and happy writing!

1 comment:

  1. Here's my poem on Deviantart: http://fav.me/d5ngizg
    And here's the song that inspired it which is Mein Herz Brennt: http://vimeo.com/55028438

    ReplyDelete

All I ask is that you be respectful. Thank you!