Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Poetry Dare: Day 8

Trying to find subjects to write about can be very difficult.  This is especially so when you're writing a new piece every day.  I may just begin writing about the exact same thing each week and see how my view on it changes with each poem.  Anyhow, in times like this, one may find it extremely helpful to have a person to offer suggestions on topics.  I have such a person, and she offered up today's topic: Jealousy.



I've never been comfortable with the way
jealousy leave my throat sore. It's
a burned tongue from drinking hot
chocolate before it has had a chance to cool.
Jealousy is a word that will not wait to cool.
It's a word that wants action - one which cries
out for it as though anger were an answer
worth using rather than a last resort. The worst
part about jealousy, though, is that it too often
comes disguised as other things like
another man's hand on your back or
the fact that I want to protect her even
though I know she's
perfectly
capable of protecting herself. Jealousy
tries to pass itself off as chivalry; I'm
trying to pass myself off as chivalrous
when I step in to make him leave his hands
by his side, but I'm
just guilty of letting my blood burn
and drinking this bitter emotion
before it's had a chance
to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All I ask is that you be respectful. Thank you!