Thursday, January 31, 2013

Poetry Dare: Day 10

I'm still not sure where certain poems come from.  I also think that I'd like to start doing themed weeks later on in this process so that I'm not just writing poems and not really expanding my craft.  I may do an all revision week (which will feature either poems from this process or poems I just really want to revise but haven't gotten a chance to work with) or an all one topic week (basically write about 1 theme for an entire week to see the differences which emerge).  Anyhow, that's all sort of off topic because I know you (yes, you) came here for poetry rather than to hear some mindless meandering nonsense.



And I want my students to understand
how everything is connected.
I want to tell them that
getting these connections will
help them to get their minds into the way
the world works. I want
to tell them to see how
vested interests connect
to the status quo, how
emotions connect with their fists, but
only if they're being used improperly.
I want to show them how their legs
connect with the sky
when the same legs hold
backs uncracked, hold
spine aligned, hold
head up high. I
want them to connect love
with respect rather
than bragging or
bank accounts. I need them to see
lies sometimes connect to truth but only
until we ask enough questions
to see why and how those lies
trace through the tapestries
of our history. I want
them to feel how pen
connects to page connects
to story connects to
reason for being connects
to why and I and am, that
writing your story is the greatest
gift you can give yourself because
no one else will or
they'll misinterpret your meaning, and
there is no greater sadness than
when you
are connected
to things you didn't do like
too many of them are
connected to laziness or
lack luster drive or
apathy, but these are untruths
connected to lies connected
to commonly accepted conceptions, and
this is not the story
they have to live with, this
is only truth if they accept it; this
is only them if they keep the flaws
connected without a further fight.
I want them to connect failure
with accepting someone else's
definitions
as their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All I ask is that you be respectful. Thank you!