Thursday, October 11, 2012

8 Words

I had a particularly poignant experience today while reading a poem I had written earlier in response to a prompt from last week's poetry club meeting.  The prompt: Write something personal.  I almost lost my emotions with the reading of the first line, and I realized how closed off I can be from my emotions at times.  So, I wanted to share not only the words of the poem but also my reading of it.  The lighting may not be perfect, but here it is posted, and I have included the text so that you can read along!  Thank you for listening (or reading or both), and feel free to leave a comment!

8 Words

I was 10 when 8 words changed the world,
sent my heart into my stomach,
had me wishing that my mom, like God
was wrong, had made a mistake.

I was 10 when 8 words changed the world.
A response to a question I had though God
wouldn't allow across lips that had never been kissed,
over outstretched hands that had never known
the coldness of a coffin - that hadn't
clasped themselves in prayer before bed but
opted for rest instead. Was He dead?
Deaf? Was this
punishment part of penance or plan?

I was 10 when 8 words changed the world.
Before boarding into the family car bound for the hospital, around
the kitchen table, I asked my mom,
in full view of God, "Will this change
my life?"
8 words in reply:
If it's what I think it is,
yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All I ask is that you be respectful. Thank you!