Sunday, October 14, 2012

In Response

"In Response" is a piece that I had written some time ago with this week's same prompt in mind. For those who'd like to hear, I've included a video of the poem. As always, however, the text is also provided! The poem to which I'm responding I came across at a library's teen poetry publication. I'll post the text up with the idea that it is protected under a creative commons license, but if it is not and I am notified of such, I will remove the text immediately.

NOTE: You may want to read the piece to which I was responding first; therefore, it can be found at the bottom of this post.


In Response

You asked me to understand. To just
Please
           Understand. But
I can't.

You handed me your hand
written note and called it poetry.
You wrote about how, once upon a time,
you grew up under the auspices
of a stiff spine and hard head,
until somewhere along the way,
you ran into something tougher
than your brain or back could bear
and it snapped.

Suddenly, the stiffness of your spine left you with little to brace back on, so you
Crumpled  
like a poem that wasn't written right.

You asked me to understand. To just
Please understand, but I can't
         comprehend
                             the solace you've sought in statistics.
People are more than numbers, and you
are more than lines, and I know that's hard
to remember when other people only gloss across the stories that are
written in your hands that are
held in your heart that are
seen in your eyes and that are
carved in your arms. And I know this

because I once etched seven lines of ugly poetry into my skin
hoping that someday someone would notice something
besides shame written in them. Shame
like the same you feel your life has taken.

And you asked me to just,
       Please,
               Understand,
And I want, but I can't

Because you say that you're insane
for inhaling this pain and screaming
Back with no one to hear, and you say
that your lungs feel like wasted space like they
keep taking
and taking and
taking while
no one leaves words to
let you know that they understand, but
they do.

And we can't help but wonder if you've
held your breath
in place of that razor.
If you've ever held your breath until your lungs
understood what it felt like to miss something they knew so long, so
I don't understand how you can't see that
your presence is like air to someone's lungs!

Without you, someone out there will inhale nothingness
and scream back the air they wished you'd remembered
to breathe.

You asked me to understand.
To just
    Please
         Understand, but
I can't understand
How you can't see
that all these words I've spoken are true because
these words that I have, they're for you.


The poem to which I was responding:

Sweet Release
Gabriella C.

And the story of my life, was once I was clean,
I was pure, life was serene,
But I hit a wall, the wall called life,
And I grew up once upon a time,

My backbone grew stiff,
And my head grew hard,
But yet I was so weak,
so insecure,

When you think I am sober, I am drunk,
When you think I'm sleeping, I am still up,
With a box cutter to my wrist, and a tear running slow,
When I'll stop this cycle? No one knows.

I'm just another statistic,
And I chose this path,
But I'm afraid this cut,
Might end up being my last,

I hurt no one purposely,
Yet my life is a shame,
I thought I was good,
But now I'm insane,

They say insanity is doing something over again,
hoping for the outcome to be different in the end,
So am I lost?
In my mind so alone,
Or am I screaming for help,
But no one is home,

I once was a girl,
With hopes and dreams,
Now I'm a disgrace,
Not wanting to be seen,

I say I live, day by day,
But the truth is, I've lost track of time,
And these days are just moments,
Moments intertwined,

Moments that blend,
One day they will mend,
And on that day it will not matter,
Because of how reckless I have been,

I'll lie in peace,
All hopes and dreams gone,
With eyes so empty,
And skin so cold,

So please just remember,
I wasn't always this way.
When you stand over my casket,
With no words to say,

I lived with a heart full of love,
Love I shared with you,
But my mind got a hold of me,
And these words I say are true,

So I ask for forgiveness,
While I still can,
Don't cry, I'm not worth it,
Just please, understand.

1 comment:

  1. I remember this poem, you've read it before. "than your brain or back could bear
    and it snapped." My favorite line because of the imagery to it

    ReplyDelete

All I ask is that you be respectful. Thank you!