Monday, October 29, 2012

October 29th - Prompt: Face Your Fear

Everyone is afraid of something.  More often than not, we find ourselves afraid of things like the dark, blind corners, and strangers.  This is partially because those things are inherently scary or that we have been warned to stay away from them, but I think it is more likely that we are afraid of these things because they represent the unknown.  What, after all, is hiding in the dark?  What is around the corner?  What is in the heart of a stranger?  This last question is one I want to focus on.

In order to take the fear out of something, we need to understand it.  In order to understand it, we must experience what it is like to be that thing which we fear.  For that reason:

I want you to try writing from the point of view of something you don't understand or something which scares you.

Try writing from the perspective of a spider.  What does it see through its manifold eyes?  What does it feel from the hair on its eight legs?  If spiders scare you not, perhaps the slithering of a snake could give you inspiration to write.  If animals do not scare you, try writing from the perspective of someone or something you do not understand.  If you're a staunch republican, write from the point of view of a democrat, or vice versa.

I recently tried to write from a perspective I didn't completely understand, and I was able to come out with a poem that meant something and informed me more about what I had been previously missing.  With any luck, not only will you discover a new and powerful poem with this prompt, but you'll also be able to find greater understanding where you couldn't before.

Good luck, and happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All I ask is that you be respectful. Thank you!